Cooke, Peter. “The Pibroch Repertory: Some Research Problems,“ Proceedings of the Royal Musical Association Vol. 102, (1975 – 1976), pp. 93-102.
This article is available here.
The article represents the best critical summary of continuing issues confronting modern students of pibroch, including:
- The paucity of early, primary sources;
- The confused nomenclature as it relates to genre;
- Uncertain tonality with respect to genre;
- The historical trend toward the singularity of style of expression;
- Suggestive queries regarding the impact of notation, judges, and the motivation of modern pibroch performers