An update by Geoff Hore 2008-2015. The writing in black font is from A Bibliography of Bagpipe Music. The update comments are in blue font.
The above image was reproduced from edition 2.
title; pp. , 2-24, tunes (50); p , small-pipe scales.
- Central Library, Newcastle. 6.7 x 9.6″. This copy formerly belonged to John Stokoe, co-author of Northumbrian Minstrelsy (no. 203 below). It contains a large number of alternative tune titles in MS.
- Black Gate Museum, Newcastle.
With regard to other copies the following information was supplied to the Newcastle Public Library by Mr. W. A. Cocks, 26 October 1932: ‘The Ancient Melodies Committee of the Newcastle Society of Antiquaries authorised Mr. Kell of Gateshead to advertise for a copy of this book. This was done extensively, but without any result. At that date there were four copies known … 1. Wm. Kell; 2. W. Green; 3. T. W. Green; 4. C. Stanton, Tynemouth … In 1888, according to John Stokoe, there were still four copies known. In 1932 there are known: 1. Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle (Wm. Kell’s copy); 2. Free Library, Newcastle (John Stokoe’s copy, probably either 2 or 3 of foregoing list); 3. Wm. A. Cocks, Ryton (lately Joseph Crawhall’s copy, and probably either 2 or 3 of foregoing lists); 4. Cannot yet be traced . . .’
William Wright was a musician and music seller; he is known to have worked from c. 1800-1805 (Humphries and Smith). William Kell’s copy, referred to above, has in MS the name of a former owner and the date Sept. 1805.
The authors of Northumbrian Minstrelsy (no. 203 below) add that Peacock, who came originally from Morpeth, was a member of the Incorporated Company of Town Waits in Newcastle.
p [i], title; p [ii], foreword; p [iii], notes; p [iv], contents; pp 1-24, tunes (50); p , small pipe scale; pp [26-28], blank manuscript lines.\\
- Geoff Hore’s Collection. 177mm x 247mm.
This book is a facsimile of edition 1 and has been published by the Northumbrian Pipers’ Society. The Foreword is dated 1980 and the ISBN is 0 902510 07 X.
Another edition was published by the Northumbrian Pipers’ Society in 1999, ISBN 0-902510-19-3.
A version of this book is on the website http://tunearch.org/w121/images/d/d8/CPeacock.pdf. It is published by Pelliccioni Fornovo BG Italia and there is no ISBN.
- Rev 00. (17 October 2008).
- Rev 01 (29 May 2010). This revision adds the scanned image of edition 1 title-page and provides details of another edition.
- Rev 02. (1 March 2015). Format changed for bibliography.altpibroch.com. The edition numbering changed from Roman to Arabic numerals. Adds details of edition 4.
© Geoff Hore 2015