An update by Geoff Hore 2008-2015. The writing in black font is from A Bibliography of Bagpipe Music. The update comments are in blue font.
A / collection / of / Irish airs and jiggs with variations, / adapted for the / pianoforte, / violin, & / violoncello, / by / John Murphy, / performer on the Union Pipes; at Eglinton Castle. /
Below title: Engraved by A. Blaikie / Paisley. / Entered at Stationers Hall. Price 7/-
title, pp , 2, list of subscribers; pp 1-40, tunes (78).
- National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh. (Glen collection). Rebound in leather. 13.4 x 9.7″.
- Library of Congress, Washington D.C. (formerly in the collection of Mr. Alfred Moffatt).
- National Library of Ireland, Dublin.
There is no imprint, but after the list of Subscribers comes a note ‘N.B. Murphy’s Collection of Irish Music to be had at Gow and Shepherd’s, Edinburgh’.
According to Humphries and Smith (p 159), Nathaniel Gow and William Shepherd were music sellers and publishers in Edinburgh from 1796. Shepherd died in January 1812; Gow carried on until 1814. The period when Andrew Blaikie worked is not known. The only works bearing his name are this one and another dated 1826. (Humphries and Smith, p 76).
Alfred Moffatt, in a note appended to his copy, refers to the dates of Gow and Shepherd, but states further that this book was issued ‘in 1809 (or late 1808)’. The title-page of the Edinburgh copy bears the suggested date 1809 in pencil, and Humphries and Smith propose c. 1810. The basis of these suggestions is not known.
- Rev 00. (16 October 2008).
- Rev 01. (4 April 2015). Format changed for bibliography.altpibroch.com. The edition numbering changed from Roman to Arabic numerals.
© Geoff Hore 2015